Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year's Food Traditions Vary

Did you eat something "special" to ensure you would have good luck for the new year?
    Here in south Texas we eat Mexican tamales at midnight. Because we have southern connections, we also eat black-eyed peas on January 1st. These are supposed to bring us good luck in the new year. I like both, so I enjoy the traditions.
     I have celebrated when the hostess insisted on serving pickled herring...a northern thing? or Danish? I tried to buy some this year...just in case, but our local grocery store that does usually carry pickled herring was sold out. Guess we have some folks here who ate herring for new year's day, just not me.
     Please share your food traditions with us in the comments below.

1 comment:

Catherine Davis said...

Hi: Love those traditions and we do them as well. Being from Louisiana, I also eat cabbage on New Year's Day. Great meal: ham, tomatoes, cabbage, black eyed peas and cornbread. Throw in some good buttermilk and you'll be oh, so full and happy!! Happy New Year. Catherine Davis (TX)